Complexity of standard Python data structures (Re: Speed of string += string)

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Mon Apr 14 14:29:03 EDT 2003

    Marcus> If somebody would say "python's list is a really a
    Marcus> vector/array", that's more or less the only documentation one
    Marcus> will ever need,

    Tim> I believe they would be to you, but I also believe you're in a
    Tim> minority there.

As long as we are talking about inferring significant semantics from
individual words or short phrases, both "vector" and "array" imply (to me)
numerically indexed containers of objects of a single type.  That doesn't
properly describe Python's lists which aren't restricted to containing
objects of a single type.

Skip