win32 COM test question

Will Stuyvesant hwlgw at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 13 06:24:27 EDT 2003

[Roman Yakovenko]
> http://www.hps1.demon.co.uk/users/andy/pyvb/spamsrv.htm
>
> And next time try to search for the answer with google ( python com
> visual basic )

That URL leads to a nice "tutorial" and "idiots guide" about using COM
and Python together in the real world, with **examples**.  It is
great, more of that!  And I do not mean the COM subject, I mean the
"tutorials" and the "examples".  With many opensource projects, it is
hard to find people to write good tutorial and examples, and Python is
not an exception.  I am always very pleased to see stuff like that.
Unfortunately my english is not as good as I would like so writing
them myself is um, ..., well I did some.  Hrm.

As a side note, quoted from above URL:

"Distribution is a problem - not everyone will want to know they have
python installed, and a on-step installation that puts it there
suitably hidden will be needed in time"

...!!!!  This has also been my experience.  But it is very funny to
see somebody else with it too.  This is also a serious matter.  Maybe
it is a good idea for the technical people in the python-dev core to
think again about integrating a C compiler with python?  It has been
my understanding, from reading python-dev and c.l.py occasionally,
that a real Python compiler is not feasible, but maybe packaging
Python with the native C compiler for the platform you choose to
download Python for?  So the "users" will only see the .exe file you
produce on Windows, and they do not have to have Python installed.
And *after* they have been using your applications for a while you can
show them the light, unveiling that you did most of it with Python.
That is the only way I have ever convinced people of taking Python
seriously.  And still, then their reaction was like "Oh my god, did we
use open source software?  What about *security*!  All those weird
hackers out there!  These geeky people with their stinking clothes!
We want nothing to do with those!"

You know managers...

--
The light at the end of the tunnel may be an oncoming dragon.