Visual Basic - Python compare

Gerrit Muller gerrit.muller at embeddedsystems.nl
Tue Apr 29 10:32:58 EDT 2003

Kent wrote:
> "Roman Yakovenko" <romany at actimize.com> wrote in message news:<mailman.1051603275.12037.python-list at python.org>...
>
>>). I decided to propose
>>python instead of VB. For this purpose I wrote small VB-Python compare.
>

> Managers always fear new development tools because of the productivity
> hit while we get up to speed on them.  Here's how I'm starting to
> convince them that Python is a good tool (and therefore worth the
> investment of time):
>
> 1.  Show that Python can be used to implement our requirements.  This
> shows that Python is right for _that_ job.
>
> 2.  Show that Python can be used to implement anything that can be
> implemented in the other environments.  This shows that it's not going
> to be a long-term hinderance, and that it's a real language, not just
> a toy.  The available GUI toolkits, and the immense standard library
> (with all its Internet protocol support) really show this point.

<...snip...>

You bring a very important message here: avoid religious discussion,
work instead by showing real value. If you are able to show a few
relevant and not totally trivial functions up and running, including the
actual hours spent on implementation and testing, than you have a
self-selling case!

Working by example costs in general less time and is much more
convincing and hence effective.

regards Gerrit

--
Gaudi systems architecting: