HTML form pre-populating functionality or hints on building my own

Scott Chapman scott_list at mischko.com
Wed Apr 16 22:39:13 EDT 2003

Hi!
I'm wanting to find (or make) a module that will take a HTML file, locate the
input-related form tags (<INPUT, <TEXTAREA, <SELECT, <OPTION) and modify them
by putting in values from a dictionary (i.e. pre-populate the form). I want a
module that is implemented 100% in python and does _not_ use any special tags
to do this (such as webware, albatross, spyce, etc.)

The only thing I've seen that does this is EmbPerl (I'm tired of Perl) and
Integratis' DFP module (implemented in C and not a straight-forward install).

I'm working on bringing some of EmbPerl's functionality to Python.

If I should build this myself, I'd like to know, would be better to use a text
parsing module such as Plex to do the parsing?  I've never used any text
parsing tool in Unix so it'll be all new to me.  I want to keep it simple as
a standalone module to only populate form elements from a variable
dictionary, so I'm thinking a parser might be overkill? If you think a parser
would be the way to go on this, which one would you recommend? (Simple and
quick is best IMHO).

Thanks!
Scott