PCA principal component analysis

myk mykbourassa at cogeco.ca
Wed Apr 9 12:47:56 EDT 2003

Don't really need a tool.  Just:

a)  "centre" your data (translate for zero mean and scale for unity
variance);
b)  do svd (in NumPy I think) on the data set resulting from a);
c)  eigenvectors are columns of U and eigenvalues are diagonal of S.
PCA scores are just the values in the columns of U i.e. 1st column is
first PC scores, etc.

You have much more flexibility if you don't use a "package".  HTH

majb