When Python outruns C++ ...

Alexander Schmolck a.schmolck at gmx.net
Tue Apr 1 17:49:17 EST 2003

"Max Khesin" <max at cNOvSisiPonAtecMh.com> writes:

> > Yes, but humans aren't good optimizing compilers.
> So who writes optimizing compilers? :).

Humans. If they were good optimizing compilers themselves why would they
bother?

Whether e.g.  assembler code can theoretically achieve better performance than
fortran code is irrelevant. What matters is whether it is humanly possible to
hand-code such assembler code.

For most cases it isn't and thus your argument (closer to machine level ->
automatically faster) breaks down.

(I'm not making any claims about the relative performance merrits of C++ and
python).

alex