HTTP application streams a response to the client gradually - how deal with it?

Harald Massa cpl.19.ghum at spamgourmet.com
Tue Apr 29 18:49:23 EDT 2003

Alan,

> If you disagree that HTTP is not suitable for a chat application,
> please feel free to say why.

I don't want to write a Chat Server via HTTP. Chat-Servers are just three
imports away using twisted - and IRC, Jabber.... are all designed to be
Chat-Protocols.

There is a existing Chat server, using HTTP / HTML. Currently it only
works with Internet-Explorer as a client. Lynx is unlucky, Mozilla works
only half.

So I want to do a Chat Client in Python. Perhaps translating from the
HTTP-Stream to another protocol.

I think it's not a good idea to use HTTP for Chat - but it is used.

> If your issue is with the use of port 80 (or whatever HTTP port is in
> use), often being the only port that goes through firewalls, then
>that's  a different issue from trying to use HTTP for what it wasn't
>designed for.
The issue is: HTTP is used for this kind of stuff. And as you mention -
it was not designed for it.

So your feedback was valuable - especially the part about Request /
Response. It looks as if I have to go the socket way. Maybe a second try
with twisted.

Harald