Python and Schools

Harald Massa cpl.19.ghum at spamgourmet.com
Fri Apr 11 04:48:49 EDT 2003

> [cut]
> I think python is a very good language for education. You could get in
> contact with local schools.

Thomas, I am not so sure about this.

Yes, I love Python, and it is the most elegant programming language I
ever met.

Python gives you objectoriented, functionorientet and imperative
programming paradigm in one fitting package.

Python does not bother beginners with a million typecasts. Very great.

For education there are small drawbacks:

- 50% of all exercises "to teach programming" are already solved in the
standard-library or are a method of a buildin object / are allready build
in the core language

- 45% of these exercises are solved within "the python cookbook",
available also online

- if you learn programming with Python and later have to use Java or
Visual Basic, it will be the most frustrating experience for the young
fellows.

Anyway, I regret not having met Python earlier in my programming career.