connecting to a modem from python

Kossay Omary kossay_omary at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 30 20:12:50 EDT 2003

I am working in a linux environment. I have an
external modem connected to one of the serial ports.
Is there any python module which I can use, which
already enables me to send commands to the modem from
python, check status, etc...

My final application would require a python code which
will recognize that an incoming call is hapenning and
will display the phone number (assuming the modem and
the line have caller-id capability).

Can some one give me some direction as to how to
implement this using existing code or where to look
for.
I wouldn't mind writing the code myself, just that I
do not have much background in dealing with modems
and/or serial interfaces, so I appreciate your help...

Thanks,
Kossay