*Newbie Question* --> Is it viable to distribute Python apps over the Internet?

Alex Martelli aleax at aleax.it
Thu Apr 24 17:33:20 EDT 2003

Graham Fawcett wrote:

> Alex Martelli <aleax at aleax.it> wrote in message
> news:<F3Epa.51023$LB6.1152908 at news1.tin.it>...
>> A.M. Kuchling wrote:
>> > Money does not make interested developers materialize,
>>
>> Surely you're joking, Mr Kuchling?
>
> Alex, are you demonstrating the materialization of an interested
> developer? ;-)

Just asserting it;-).  Put ENOUGH money [or goods and services
worth money, as are many of those you list] as the reward for
some activity, and people interested in that activity WILL magically
materialize, just like that.  Many of them will be people that
would normally still be interested, but not have time due to their
engagement in other gainful activities (because e.g. raising a
family does cost a lot of money, and to a lesser extent do so many
creature comforts).

> and of course,
> the way that girls go crazy for Python contributors.

Well, THAT, too (I didn't *know*, when I fell in love with Python,
that it would help me connect with the most wonderful woman in the
world -- but, had I known, I'd surely have jumped into it sooner).

> Of course we have no infrastructure for this (at least for the ones
> that cost money). But I'm sure we could create one if the need arose.

I'm not so sure, myself -- but it's sure worth trying.

> If it would help to move our goals along, I would gladly pay an annual
> Python tax, and/or participate in some kind of token economy. It would
> be a small price to pay in return for the *tremendous* advantages (and
> joys!) that the Python community provides to me.
>
> In short, I think we should all send $20 a year to Guido, in return

That's the kind of thing the Python Sofware Foundation is going to
aim for -- collect small (or large!-) donations (tax-deductible, too,
for US citizens), and use them to fund Python development (and/or
other such Pythonic activities).  Stay tuned for further announcements...

Alex