Twisted 1.0.4

Cliff Wells LogiplexSoftware at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 22 13:13:55 EDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-04-22 at 05:18, Andrew Bennetts wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 22, 2003 at 12:34:06PM +0200, Marc Recht wrote:
> > >to Twisted and Twisted's users.  Similarly, Twisted has some C extensions
> > >which are typically built with gcc, but gcc's licence (GPL) also has no
> > >relevance to Twisted.
> > IIRC then gcc libs are LGPL'ed, so it doesn't affect Twisted. I wouldn't be
> > so sure if they were GPL'ed.
>
> No, gcc is GPLed.  I'm not sure what you mean by "gcc libs"?  I'm pretty
> sure libgcc1 is part of gcc and thus GPLed also.

No, it's LGPL'd.  GCC itself is GPL, the libraries are LGPL'd.

> The point is that a C program or library compiled with gcc is not a derived
> work of gcc, anymore than a thesis written in and printed with MS Word is a
> derived work of MS Word.  Python isn't GPLed, despite often being compiled
> with gcc.

You are forgetting that by compiling your source with gcc, you are most
likely linking against LGPL'd libraries (even in rather trivial
programs).  That means that your executable will *contain* LGPL'd code.
The LGPL was created just for this purpose: to allow non-GPL'd software
to link against (L)GPL'd software.

--
Cliff Wells, Software Engineer
Logiplex Corporation (www.logiplex.net)