Handling slices

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Mon Apr 7 06:44:31 EDT 2003

Francois Pinard <pinard at iro.umontreal.ca> writes:

> Hi, Python friends.
>
> I'm currently using Python 2.2.1.  How does one support slices when given
> to __getitem__?  Suppose I get a slice object.  How can I use it to get
> a slice of a local array?  In other words, how one does apply a slice?

In 2.2.1, by hand, I think.

def __getitem__(self, item):
    if isinstance(item, types.SliceType):
       if item.step != 1:
          raise ValueError
       if item.start is None:
          start = 0
       else:
          start = item.start
       if item.stop is None:
          stop = len(self.local_array)
       else:
          stop = item.stop
       return self.local_array[start:stop]

I presume you don't need to be told that this is all much nicer in
2.3...

Cheers,

--
  On the other hand, the following areas are subject to boycott
  in reaction to the rampant impurity of design or execution, as