O'Reilly Python Books

Dave Benjamin ramen at lackingtalent.com
Tue Apr 15 15:51:37 EDT 2003

In article <12240-3E9C5F83-187 at storefull-2371.public.lawson.webtv.net>,
W S wrote:
> Are the nutshell and cookbook O'Reilly Python books easier to read?

I just got my copy of the Python Cookbook over the weekend, and I love it so
far. I don't think I'd recommend it for a beginner, but I do find it easy to
read. ;)

> I'm fairly new to programming but trying to learn. I have read Learning
> Python, Core Python, Python Bible and a bunch of perl books

Learning Python is good book, very helpful but a bit outdated. I've heard
good things about the Nutshell book, but I haven't read that one yet. I will
say that Nutshell books in general aren't good introductory texts either,
they're much better as references.

Steve Holden's "Python Web Programming" has a great introduction to the
Python language, as well as relational database design and web applications,
if you're into web stuff. I was surprised at how much introductory material
he covered, and his writing style is easy for me.

Also, don't forget, sometimes the best things in life are free:
http://www.ibiblio.org/obp/thinkCSpy/

Peace,
Dave