PythonCard vs. Boa Constructor (was Re: Python for VB6 programmers)

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Thu Apr 17 08:02:31 EDT 2003

"Alex Martelli" <aleax at aleax.it> wrote in message
news:Zvvna.38978$T34.1112133 at news2.tin.it...
> Aahz wrote:
>
> > In article <6e07b825.0304162200.34884d36 at posting.google.com>,
> > yaipa h. <yaipa at yahoo.com> wrote:
> >>
> >>Here in the SF Bay Area I have only met one VB programmer willing to say
> >>that he uses VB.net. The other VB programmers I find are talking about
> >>either sticking with VB6 (most), taking Java courses (some) or playing
> >>around with the C# idea (few).  Most share my feelings about the .net
> >>thing. That it will not be stable until release +3.x and there are
> >>little to no existing libraries. You know, batteries. ;-) So yes there
> >>is a window and it is wide open.
> >>
> >>With that said, without a slick, stable GUI builder with all the
> >>look and feel of the VB GUI builder it's a long way from here
> >>to there. I mean what do you expect them to do, pass in command-line
> >>arguments or hand assemble TK widgets. :^)
> >
> > Good point.  Anyone here willing to take a whack at claiming that
> > PythonCard, Boa Constructor, or something else would the best path for a
> > VB6 programmer?
>
> Personally I would suggest BlackAdder -- it's a commercial product,
> but not too costly, and while still Beta it's IMHO more stable than
> Boa (haven't tried PythonCard, natch).  The look and feel of each
> of these IDE's is obviously hugely different from that of VB, though.
>
> Not sure if ActiveState's "Visual Python" add-on for Microsoft Visual
> Studio .NET can provide sufficient functionality, as I haven't tried
> it yet -- at least the MS look and feel should be there, though,
> since it DOES work on top of MS's IDE...!-)

I'd be happier with that is there was ANY sign that work had been done on
BlackAdder in the past two years.While I don;t disagree with anything else
you wrote, I'm still waiting for the clock to start running on the year's
support I bought. This will apparently happen when it "comes out of beta".
Meantime, two years after my purchase, the product hasn't been updated.

The Kompany won't be getting any more of MY money, thank you very much.

regards
How lucky am I?      http://www.google.com/search?q=Steve+Holden&btnI=1