Logging into CVS using Python

Ben Hutchings do-not-spam-ben.hutchings at businesswebsoftware.com
Tue Apr 8 14:01:52 EDT 2003

In article <ShBka.143$N5.26584 at mencken.net.nih.gov>, Mike wrote:
> Howdy All,
>
> Thanks to everyone who replied to my previous post, even though my post was
> horribly worded. Now onto my question.
>
> How do I use Python to login into CVS? Here's what I have tried, but it has
> failed. I'm not even sure that I'm using the correct methods.
<snip>

cvs login does little other than storing the supplied password in ~/.cvspass
(or some other chosen password file).  Subsequent operations automatically
retrieve the password from there.  It doesn't seem to be possible to pass
a password to cvs login programmatically, except perhaps with a pseudo-tty
under Unix.  What I ended up doing when I tried to automate CVS from Python
was to edit ~/.cvspass instead.  If you want to try this, read the source
files login.c and scramble.c for the details of the format of that file.