Could Emacs be rewritten in Python?

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Sun Apr 6 20:44:22 EDT 2003

In article <mailman.1049656989.5896.python-list at python.org>,
Skip Montanaro  <skip at pobox.com> wrote:

>    aahz> Bare emacs is unusable.
>
>I'm not sure what you're referring to.  No Emacs installation I'm aware
>of is "bare".  (I presume you're not referring to the predump "temacs"
>executable.)  I find "bare" vi pretty darn inscrutable as well.  I know
>how to 'dd', 'x', 'i', 'a' and ':wq[!]', and can navigate with the
>arrow keys.  Just enough to tweak the occasional config file.  Anything
>more substantial requires Emacs in some fashion (even if it's just X11
>copy/paste from an Emacs buffer running on another machine).  It all
>boils down to what you're productive with.  I began using Emacs more
>than 20 years ago, so at this point any editor in which typing 7-bit
>ASCII doesn't result in those characters winding up in the file I'm
>editing seems weird.

"Bare" == no .emacs

Using emacs with its default keybindings hurts my fingers.  If I were to
seriously use emacs, I'd need a hefty .emacs, which would make me unable
to be productive with it in an emergency.  As for using emacs in vi
mode, why not just stick with vi?

This is Python.  We don't care much about theory, except where it intersects
with useful practice.  --Aahz, c.l.py, 2/4/2002