Python and Schools

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Thu Apr 17 03:13:09 EDT 2003

Ian Bicking wrote:

> It's also a question of what you're trying to teach.  Something that
> has
> always impressed me with Logo is that it's more of a teaching
> philosophy, and a language goes with it.  The intention behind Logo
> isn't to teach programming... rather, programming is a medium in which
> to teach all sorts of other great stuff.

And, I might point out, Logo really gets a bad rap by the general
populace as a "toy" language that just involves little turtles running
around like silly things.  In actuality, Logo was originally designed
for abstract manipulation of symbols (_logo_ means "word" in Greek); the
turtle graphics stuff came later.  Logo is in fact a fun little cousin
of the Lisp family.

/  \ Can I walk with you / 'Till the day that my heart stops beating
\__/ India Arie
    Polly Wanna Cracka? / http://www.pollywannacracka.com/
 The Internet resource for interracial relationships.