How to write RTF from Python?

achrist at easystreet.com achrist at easystreet.com
Fri Apr 25 18:33:08 EDT 2003

dsavitsk wrote:

> Your requirements suggest to me that html is the best common denominator,
> and it's easier to write.

Yes, it is easier to write.  But I wrote a dead-plain-simple HTML file
and opened it in MS Word (the version that came free on my computer in
late 1996), and it looked just dreadful, with all kinds of visible
markup that made no sense and generally might make you think that
the  program that wrote it was written by someone who was not very
smart.  So, I try to open the same file with Abiword (a relatively
recent version), and it tells me that the file is bogus and refuses to
open it at all.  This is simple HTML that opens fine in Netscape and in
Amaya -- those have no trouble with my HTML (just HTML, BODY, UL, LI,
TABLE, TR, TD, and B tags, IIRC).  So I figure that HTML is not a
preferred path into word-processing programs when it is not known what
version of which word-processing program the user has installed.  I
intend to offer HTML output for those who want it, and I do have that
nut cracked already, but it's not a complete solution.

So, again, wrt the larger nut, how to write RTF from Python? Any ideas?

Al