Python 2.2.2 and 2.3a2 compile problems on Mingw32

Gerhard Häring gh at ghaering.de
Tue Apr 22 16:07:45 EDT 2003

John J. Lee wrote:
> "Andreas KLostermann" <bluetigger at web.de> writes:
>

>>I wanted to compile Python on Mingw32. That's a GNU C++ Compiler for
>>Windows and it can configure...  The "make" process begins
>>promissing, but fails at "posixmodule.c"...
>>
>>This Problem is the same for 2.2.2 and 2.3a2.
>>Can someone help me?
>
> [...]
>
> Sorry if this is a stupid question, but are you using the cygwin port?

Apparently Andreas was trying to compile Python using the *native* win32
GNU toolset, aka mingw (minimalist GNU for Windows). This isn't
currently possible, though I know of several people who have expressed
interest and/or are currently working on this (that includes me).

> Or is the cygwin port merged into Python proper, now?

It is. Building Python sources with Cygwin is something that works out
of the box.

-- Gerhard