Teaching : Python, Scheme, Java...

Christian Tismer tismer at tismer.com
Mon Apr 21 16:32:01 EDT 2003

Alex Martelli wrote:

> Yeah, one spot where implementation and pragmatical issues have
> taken priority over didactical and theoretical ones.  I suspect you
> could use _Stackless_ Python and free yourself from the recursion
> limit, if you could accept the limitation of running on Intel and
> Intel-compatible CPU's only, but I don't know it for a fact.

FYI, Stackless 3.0 is almost ready. It re-invents the old principles
of Stackless 1.0, which means, it can avoid 80 percent of all
recursive calls without any hardware dependant code.
In a couple of hours, I will publish this version.
It will compile with hardware stack switching on all supported
platforms. On other platforms, it will at least try to avoid
recursive interpreter calls as much as it can.
With the latter version, you can do unlimited recursions,
unless you are usin deep recursive calls of special __ methods,
which are not supported by the software-only version, yet.

ciao - chris