Textbooks?

Alex Martelli aleax at aleax.it
Mon Apr 28 04:33:54 EDT 2003

Colin J. Williams wrote:
>> > other hand, is ideal.  If I can find a textbook that is even ok, I may
>> The Deitels have a textbook called _Python How to Program_ that is aimed
>> at beginning programmers.  I'm not sure how good/bad it is.  Three out
>> of four reviewers on Amazon seem to like it (the fourth guy gave it one
>> star based on its lack of Perl coverage).
>
> The book is very expensive and heavy reading.  The Nutshell is excellent,

Why, thanks!

> but would need more examples for your purpose.

...AND it would need EXERCISES, that it completely lacks... it's *not*
meant as a textbook.  Besides, while I've been quite pleased to hear that
programmers already experienced in other languages have found the Nutshell
to be a good introduction to Python (I aimed for that, as a second order
issue -- I'm glad I managed to achieve it), I think it's out of the question
that the Nutshell can be usable as an introduction by *beginners* -- people
who do NOT already have substantial programming experience (albeit in other
languages).  There are many excellent books I would recommend as beginners'
introductions ("Practical Python" and "Learning Python" are two that have
already been mentioned in this context, and I would second these -- but, the
book I chose to give as a birthday gift to a bright beginner who was
starting to learn Python was Holden's "Python Web Programming" instead!-).
But, none of these is really a *textbook*, either...

Alex