_socket problem

Jorl Shefner v451v at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 21 10:33:00 EDT 2003

I am unable to use the urllib module because of the error:
ImportError: No module named _socket

I have seen this issue reported in this newsgroup previously.  Some
postings have indicated this is related to a compatibility issue with
openSSL, though most of the details are beyond my ability to follow.

My question is mainly focused on determining whether the problem likely
resides in the python installation or some other program.

The important points:

   The system with the problem is:
   Unix version SGI IRIX 6.5
   It is running- OpenSSL 0.9.7a Feb 19 2003
   Python 2.2.2 (#2, Apr  9 2003, 11:54:07)

   I was recently running (on this machine) an earlier version of python
(2.2, I believe) installed locally in my account and had no _socket
error.  When I had the administrator install python system-wide, the
problems began.

   I do much of my work on Mac OsX with very similar versions python and
openSSL without any such problems.

   OS 10.2.5
   OpenSSL 0.9.6i Feb 19 2003
   Python 2.2.2 (#1, 01/12/03, 07:51:34)

   Is there any known workaround for this problem, or does it require a
re-installation of python.

   Thanks,

   J.S.