Installer Problem WinNT to Win 98

achrist at easystreet.com achrist at easystreet.com
Tue Apr 29 19:44:29 EDT 2003

Mark Hammond wrote:

> You really need a way to see the exception.  This could be as simple > as hacking your app to open a file and set sys.stderr and sys.stdout > to it.
>
> Or simply install Python on that machine and run from source code,
> just to determine the error.

Yes, I know I'm a victim of dumb optimism.

The machine in question is 550 miles from here, and I doubt that I
will return to it any time before I want to deliver this app.  I
was just traveling to see a friend over the weekend and wanted to show
off my work.

If I had just left the app the way that it was running here, with
the console on, I'm sure I would have found out what the problem
was.  Unfortunately, I turned it off to make it look slicker.
Eventually we'll find out.

Based on the point where the app failed, I'm about 75% sure that it
had something to do with either the wxWindows feature of being able
to plant widgets in the middle of the wxHtmlCtrl or with accessing
the registry, as it failed right about where it should have been
filling a combo box in the middle of a wxHtmlCtrl with values from
the registry accessed via the win32api that comes with python.

I'm not sure whether the registry access is done through advapi.dll or
oleaut32.dll, but windows does have several versions of these.  When
looking through google for info on these, I have seen that some
software vendors do mention that the original version of one of these
that came with Win98 is not sufficient for their app -- it must be
updated with a download from MS.  I wonder if there is any way that it
might likewise need to be updated to run a python app(?).

Al