need help with game

Robin Munn rmunn at pobox.com
Thu Apr 3 04:55:48 EST 2003

Peter Hansen <peter at engcorp.com> wrote:
> BBFoto wrote:
>>
>> I copied your line and pasted it.
>>
>> File "<stdin>", line 1
>>     C:\Python22\Python.exe "c:/program
>> files/pysol/pysol-4.80/data/PySol_22.pyc"
>>
>>      ^
>> SyntaxError: invalid syntax
>
> This is a message from the Python interpreter.  You should
> not be *in* the interactive interpreter when you type that.
> It is an MS-DOS command, to execute the bytecode in the .pyc
> file using the python.exe executable.
>
> May I suggest you read some parts of the FAQ at www.python.org,
> and also go through the Python tutorial available there, before
> trying to do much more?  You are missing a substantial amount of
> background knowledge necessary to understand the advice you are
> being given, both in Python and Windows/DOS.

Oh my, yes. I was assuming that you would immediately recognize that
line as a DOS command. It won't work in the Python interpreter.

Let me repeat my suggestion that you instead try to download and run the
Windows version of PySol found here:

    http://avitous.net/software/pysol-windows/index.shtml

It has a simple installer program that you can double-click on, which
will put icons in your Start menu and set everything up for you.

Now, once you've got the game up and running via that Windows installer,
you may be tempted to give up on understanding why your previous
attempts didn't work. *DON'T* give in to that temptation! Continue to
experiment, and try to understand the results. When you do finally "get"
why some of your attempts failed, and why others succeeded, the "aha!"
experience will be very rewarding, *and* it will provide you with a much
deeper level of understanding of how computers work.

Yes, it's hard work trying to reach that "aha!" moment; but it's worth
it, I promise you. Keep trying.

--
Robin Munn <rmunn at pobox.com>
http://www.rmunn.com/