distributed computing implementations

Robin Becker robin at jessikat.fsnet.co.uk
Sat Apr 12 05:18:57 EDT 2003

In article <b77hpo$59a$0 at 216.39.172.122>, Bengt Richter <bokr at oz.net>
writes
>>I really can't explain these numbers either? Localhost is 10 times slower
>>than over the network???
>
>IIRC, there was some discussion some time ago about this being a particular
>FreeBSD pessimality problem that wasn't true of Linux, but someone was fixing
>it?
>But FreeBSD has good networking reputation I thought, so this needs double
>check,
>for sure. Maybe it was for an old version?

....this is version 4.5. I guess things would be easier if one could be
sure that it's not a dns type thing, but I see from the dev list that
there's already some discussion about how/where dns lookups can be
avoided/speeded up with sockets which have a supposedly known address.
Naively I thought it would be relatively easy to just get a 32 / 64 bit
int back from some socket module function and then shove that into the
address part of the socket address.

Given the above perhaps it's not dns at all, but some other things that
get in the way. Do OSes impose limits on number of ports or
connections/second etc?

--
Robin Becker