properties and get/set methods

Jp Calderone exarkun at intarweb.us
Sun Apr 6 01:24:57 EST 2003

On Sat, Apr 05, 2003 at 11:48:41PM -0500, Mike C. Fletcher wrote:
> Dan Bishop wrote:
>
> >Timothy Grant <tjg at craigelachie.org> wrote in message
> >news:<mailman.1049581810.25706.python-list at python.org>...

> >>Is it possible to determine which attribute was used to as the trigger
> >>for the call to setvar() or getvar()? so that set_appropriate_attribute()
> >>or appropriate_attribute() can set the correct attribute or get the
> >>correct attribute?
> >>

> >Why not just use two different getvar and setvar functions?
> >

> When you're doing generic "framework" level programming, it's just not
> acceptable to have to define 2 (really 3) new functions for every
> property.  Compare:

  Indeed not.  So move things around a little:

    def makeSetter(name):
        def set(self, value):
            doGeneric(self, name, value)
            self.__dict__[name] = value
        return set
    def makeGetter(name):
        def get(self):
            doGeneric(self, name)
            return self.__dict__[name]
        return get
    def makeProperty(name):
        return property(makeGetter(name), makeSetter(name))

    class Foo:
        bar = makeProperty('bar')
        baz = makeProperty('baz')

  Logically, the two layers still exist (good thing), but the first is
resolved entirely at class-creation time, nicely negating the efficiency
concerns (good thing).

> [snip]

  Jp

--
In the days when Sussman was a novice Minsky once came to him as he sat
hacking at the PDP-6. "What are you doing?" asked Minsky. "I am training a