book on Python for Fortran programmers

Michael Prager Mike.Prager at noaa.gov
Tue Apr 15 12:15:18 EDT 2003

beliavsky at aol.com wrote:

>Python has been suggested by several posters to comp.lang.fortran as a
>scripting language worth learning. What are some good book(s) and web
>site(s) to get an experienced Fortran 95 programmer started in Python?

Of the books that I've looked at, I prefer the "Python 2.1
Bible" by Brueck and Tanner.  It's rather complete and doesn't
start by explaining what a bit is.

An . . . essential reference . . . is "Python Essential
Reference, Second Edition" by David Beazley.  It's a concise
version of everything (reminiscent in its brevity of Metcalf and
Reid) whose main drawback is the very small type size used.

Whatever you buy, make sure it's current at least to Python 2.1.
(The current version is 2.2.2.)  AVOID any reference that is
1.5.x or 1.6.x -- some worthwhile features have been added..

--
Mike Prager
NOAA, Beaufort, NC