Why functional Python matters

John Roth johnroth at ameritech.net
Tue Apr 15 16:22:01 EDT 2003

"Dave Benjamin" <ramen at lackingtalent.com> wrote in message
news:slrnb9on0q.sho.ramen at lackingtalent.com...

[snip long post about functional constructs]

I agree completely. I got turned on to the existing functional
constructs while I was doing a TDD challenge. I managed
to do that with exactly one if statement and no loops because
of the functional constructs.

However, losing apply() isn't a big deal because there is
an exactly equivalent construct. I'd hate to see the rest
of them go away, especially since the (possible) implementation
of PEP 308 will remove one of the restrictions on lambdas.

Also notice that there are a set of new functional constructs
in 2.3 alpha.

John Roth