book on Python for Fortran programmers

cmkl cmkleffner at gmx.de
Wed Apr 16 04:24:04 EDT 2003

I like Rick Muller's comprehensive tutorial:
http://www.wag.caltech.edu/home/rpm/python_course/
because it is targeted as a Python tutorial for
scientific programmers. Things like the numeric python
extension, extending python with C-modules, OpenGL
are treated with usuable and understandable examples.

Use this as an appetizer to get an idea what can be
done in Python in numeric computing.

Eric Jones presentation:
http://www.scipy.org/site_content/tutorials/scipytutorial.pdf
is an impressive overview over numeric and scientific
python modules.

But to 'learn' the python syntax and semantics from the
beginning a good book like the mentioned 'Python in a Nutshell'
is definitly the best idea. You find this book at:
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/pythonian/

Regards,

Carl