Could Emacs be rewritten in Python?

Alex Martelli aleax at aleax.it
Tue Apr 15 18:38:03 EDT 2003

Robin Munn wrote:
> I suppose I just illustrated how a try ... finally block might be
> considered "broken and fragile". I tried to use it, and missed some
> subtleties. I'm still not convinced that a "with"-like statement is
> necessary in Python, but I think I just went from -1 to -0 on it.

Hmmm, yes, good point.  I'm about a +0 on "with" or the like - I
_know_ how to write try/finally, but I also know it requires me
some care and attention to get it right, and a well-designed 'with'
might be a snap to use -- OTOH, any language addition is a burden,
intrinsically (more stuff to teach, to learn, &c)... so it's hard
for me to get above +0 for anything that CAN be done reasonably
well already, albeit with some care and fussing!-)

Alex