Visual Python without ActivePython

Trent Mick trentm at ActiveState.com
Tue Apr 1 13:00:00 EST 2003

[David Bolen wrote]
> I was looking to evaluate Visual Python, but was wondering if anyone
> knew a way to get it to operate with a regular distribution (not
> ActiveState's ActivePython) since it seems to check specifically for
> ActivePython on startup.
>
> I've already got 5 versions of Python installed on my system (and have
> carefully picked which ones get involved in the few single-use
> registry settings), and would prefer not to need ActivePython just for
> an evaluation (not to mention I'm not sure what registry "adjustments"
> installing it might do for free).  I'd expect my standard 2.1 or 2.2
> installation, including win32all, should be more than sufficient to
> run Visual Python.
>
> Thanks.

A new version should be coming out shortly that will deal with this
problem: Visual Python will work with ActivePython or python.org's
Python, versions 2.1 and up.

You can try the beta now if you would like to help:
    http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/Message/visualpython-discuss/1588507

Cheers,
Trent

--