inserting Python commands into HTML documents

Ben Hutchings do-not-spam-ben.hutchings at businesswebsoftware.com
Wed Apr 16 06:32:13 EDT 2003

In article <6-CdnUrJoLKFkQajXTWcqA at comcast.com>, Em wrote:
> These options all seem to require me to install 3rd party software onto
> the server of this company, and I believe that to be outside of the
> scope of the test project.
>
> The only issue is that I want it to be invisible that I'm pulling from a
> CGI script (I don't want the URL bar to say
> "www.mywebsite.com/cgi-bin/myProj.py?page=projects", I want it to simply
> say "www.mywebsite.com/projects.html" or "www.mywebsite.com/projects.php").
>
> Is there a way for me to send my output to /index.html, /projects.html,
> etc.?

You'd need to configure the server explicitly to use a CGI script for
those URLs.  I do think it's a good idea to keep URLs short, and to avoid
letting your current implementation show in the name.  In fact I would go
further and drop the '.html', which is only really necessary in static
filenames to let the server know their type.