PYTHONPATH question

Nomad nomad*** at ***absamail.co.za
Mon Apr 7 07:55:07 EDT 2003

On Sun, 6 Apr 2003 07:27:49 -0500, Skip Montanaro <skip at pobox.com>
wrote:

>    Ali> shouldn't i be able to read PYTHONPATH directly like i read any other env
>    Ali> variable? because i am saying
>    Ali> echo $PYTHONPATH
>    Ali> and nothing is being displayed.
>
>That just means PYTHONPATH isn't set currently.  In your ~/.profile, simply
>set
>
>    PYTHONPATH=<colon-separated list of directories>
>    export PYTHONPATH
>
>and you should be okay.

For future safety, it might be an idea to make it:

    PYTHONPATH=$PYTHONPATH:<colon-separated list of directories>
    export PYTHONPATH

just in case you add any 3rd party modules later that add themselves
to your `global' PYTHONPATH.  Of course, you could also reverse the
order, placing the global $PYTHONPATH at the end rather than the
beginning -- its a matter of taste I suppose.

HTH

--
Nomad

Wondering of the vast emptyness of the 'net
in search of something cool.