Curses on Win32

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Wed Apr 23 20:26:00 EDT 2003

Adam Vandenberg wrote:

> You can take a look at:
> http://flangy.com/dev/python/curses/
>
> So far I have a binary distribution for Python 2.2.2, but I'll be
> releasing
> the source soonish.

Looks pretty good so far!  I have a Windows machine around for playing
games only, and do all my real work on Linux or Solaris.  I have some
Python projects that use curses, so I installed your curses module on my
Windows machine and tried them out.  Only two things came up:

1.  It would be good if the README.txt in the curses.zip package were in
the curses subdirectory, not in the root.  Otherwise it tries to replace
the README.txt that's in site-packages (at least with the standard
Windows installer), which isn't what you want.

2.  I wasn't able to get stdscr.subwin to perform properly.  In calling
it with the .subwin(begin_y, begin_x) form, I couldn't manage to get
anything other than

	ValueError: Child's extent not in bounds of parent

even with something reasonable like (IDLE):

	import curses
	stdscr = curses.initscr()
	w = stdscr.subwin(10, 10)

Perhaps that modality (documented in the Python Library documentation
under 6.13.2) is just not supported yet?

Nevertheless, great work!  Only one or two of my projects actually
attempt to create subwindows; all those which didn't ran flawlessly.
Specifically, my cellular automata library CAGE, many of whose examples
use curses (and which quite a few Windows users have complained about),
worked fine:

	http://www.alcyone.com/pyos/cage/

Congratulations on the good work!

/  \ Stars are the golden fruit of a tree beyond reach.
\__/ George Eliot
    Blackgirl International / http://www.blackgirl.org/
 The Internet resource for black women.