Overloadable Assignment PEP

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Thu Apr 3 21:57:57 EST 2003

Bengt Richter wrote:

> So how do you feel about properties? Seems like the OP's proposal
> would
> open up another way to implement at least the assignment part. Perhaps
> there should be an analogous __getvalue__ method for the right hand
> side.
> (Already ducking ;-)

I really should have said "rebinding" instead of "rebinding/attribute
assignment."  I misspoke, sorry.

I know

	something = somethingElse

is always going to mean rebinding, and I like that.  I don't mind if

	something.subSomething = somethingElse

can mean different things; that seems very reasonable, in fact.

/  \ Listen to my song
\__/ Chante Moore
    Lsystem / http://www.alcyone.com/pyos/lsystem/
 A Lindenmayer systems explorer in Python.