Why functional Python matters

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed Apr 16 13:48:14 EDT 2003

"Tj" <tj_scarlet at yahoo.com> wrote in message
> fold-left) that explain nothing.  Lambda could also stand renaming;
> Pythonistas probably think it's an arrogant name.  (Or exotic?  I
> can't tell.)

For people without knowledge of Lisp, and maybe lacking complete
knowledge of the Greek 'alpha-beta' and math people's habit of using
such letters, try 'obscure'.  To me (who had such knowledge) it is
just a bit jarring.  All other Python keywords are English words (or
abbreviations thereof) with Python meanings similar to their everyday
meanings.  'Lambda' sticks out like a sore thumb.  'Func' would have
been better.

Terry J. Reedy