Anything like Mailman's LockFile.py in std lib?

Dave Benjamin ramen at lackingtalent.com
Tue Apr 1 15:04:41 EST 2003

In article <20030401144641.L28887-100000 at eden.ispol.com>,
Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy wrote:

> Is there anything being planned for the standard lib that provides locking
> a la LockFile.py in Mailman?
>
> I find it extremely useful, but just recently came across a project where
> it can't be used becuase it's GNU licensed - thus the question.

Have you looked at portalocker? It's here at the ASPN Python Cookbook:
http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/65203

It doesn't support win95/98, and doesn't seem to have nearly as much
functionality as LockFile.py, but it might help you with the licensing
issue. I think that a library like LockFile should be part of the os module.

HTH,
Dave