Python and Schools

Steven Taschuk staschuk at telusplanet.net
Thu Apr 17 15:29:19 EDT 2003

Quoth Tim Peters:
> [David Eppstein]
  [...]
> >     allocate array A, of dimension n**2, WITHOUT INITIALIZING IT
> >         (is this possible in pure python?)
>
> It shouldn't be possible:  if you find a way to do it, it would be
> considered a security bug.  No memory is really uninitialized -- if Python
> gave you read access to n**2 bytes in constant time, it would be revealing
> to you the state left behind by some other function (or user, or process).

Hm... it doesn't have to let us *read* from the uninitialized
memory.  Just as long as it lets us write to it, and later read
from the spots we've written to.

This is of dubious usefulness, of course.

Steven Taschuk                           staschuk at telusplanet.net
"I'm always serious, never more so than when I'm being flippant."
                            -- _Look to Windward_, Iain M. Banks