Pythonic way of web-programming

Alex Martelli aleax at aleax.it
Sat Apr 12 16:39:36 EDT 2003

Ian Bicking wrote:

> On Sat, 2003-04-05 at 22:32, Neil Schemenauer wrote:
>> Ian Bicking <ianb at colorstudy.com> wrote:
>> > The next step I can envision would be for Twisted to become the
>> > canonical infrastructure, where higher-level web frameworks are all
>> > built ontop of it.
>>
>> That's not feasible.  Some applications would require extensive
>> modification to work on top of an event driven framework.
>
> That was my initial impression too, but you don't have to program in the
> Twisted/async style in order to use Twisted as a base -- Twisted can
> spawn threads and wait for responses from those threads.  I've been
> thinking about this for Webware, and I don't think there would need to
> be any change to user's code (and actually only very minimal changes to
> Webware's code -- mostly just deleting the parts that are redundant with
> Twisted and making a few wrappers).

A Webkit version running on top of Twisted would really be a wonderful
thing to have... I have a hard time conceiving of exactly how you'd fit
them together (maybe I'm not familiar enough with the _internals_ of
each, though I've used them both), but I'll accept your assessment that
it would be a pretty easy job for you, so, what about trying it out...?

> It does change the installation procedure and some of the management --
> which is okay in Twisted but not great.  However, none of the frameworks
> are great, and if we consolidate we have a better chance at improvement.

A wise strategy, that would be...

Alex