Python & Remote Access Database

mat mathieu.rohon at bull.net
Thu Apr 10 07:51:31 EDT 2003

"drs" <drs at ecp.cc> wrote in message news:<kjYka.2914$kd1.2980829 at newssrv26.news.prodigy.com>...
> "mat" <mathieu.rohon at bull.net> wrote in message
> news:a6b6f195.0304090408.21003c3a at posting.google.com...
> > hi everyone!
> >
> > I have some trouble to find a way to connect and find informations in
> > a Remote Access Database, from my Python program which running under
> > linux Red Hat 7.3.
> >
> > the fact are:
> > -the access Database is on a WinNT4 server
> > -my python script is under Linux Red Hat 7.3, with Python 1.5
> > -both pc are ine the same domain
> >
> > I saw different module : ODBCmx, win32com... but i don't know which
> > one to use, and how to use it.
> >
> Assuming that by access you mean MS Access, I think there are 3 solutions.
> The real problem is that Access is not a db server, so using it remotely,
> even in an all windows environment, is not a simple thing (or at least not a
> good thing).
>
> The first is solution is to use something like pyro to construct a remote
> object that runs on the windows box but is controled by the linux box. (i
> use a similar solution to this in places but between 2 win2k computers using
> dcom and so far it seems okay for processes that are not too resource
> intensive).  If you do this look at http://ecp.cc/pyado.html for
> instructions on using Python win32com/ADO.
>
> A second similar solution is to use medusa, or something similar (twisted,
> mod_python, iis/asp, simplehttpserver, whatever) to send pickled stuff back
> and forth from the remote computer.  this is probably the most work in terms
> of hours, but perhaps the least in terms of thinking.
>
> The last solution, which is politically often the most difficult, but which
> is probably the technically correct one, is to switch databases and use
> MySQL or Postgres or whatever you like that can actually act as a db server.
> (There is also a baby version of sql server which comes with some versions
> of visual studio that might work -- people's results have been mixed.)
>
> -d

thanks for your answer -d

I think I'll use the first solution, it seems to be obvious and well
documented.

but in a first time i'll just use a python script to get a remote file
of data, and to store the data in my MySQL database.

do you know a way to get some file through a network, with a python
script?

thanks

mat