POD vs. reST for standalone writing?

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Tue Apr 29 23:32:42 EDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-04-29 at 17:51, eichin at metacarta.com wrote:
> and the description "The underline/overline must be at least as long
> as the title text."  My first problem with this is that if changing
> the content causes the markup to need changing, the markup changes
> will be a bit more error prone.  The next is that level for a given
> punctuation type is based on, if I'm not misinterpreting this, what
> punctuation usage has been seen *in this document*, which makes moving
> selections among a small set of documents a little harder, unless you
> have an explicit style guide (in which case, why not represent it
> outright in the code?)

Yes, I have the same problem with the non-portable nature of the header
hierarchy.  I have a vague convention of what I use in my own documents
(=, -, ~), but even they aren't consistent, and it would be worse
working with someone else.  And it's hard to tell just a localized
context what the document's conventions are -- you have to start at the
top and see what punctuation is used first to really be sure.

I like the underlining itself, and if there was a strict ordering of
punctuation I wouldn't be able to remember it, so that's out.  But it
would be nice if there was something easier...

Chapter 1
---------

*Section 1.1

**Section 1.1.1