Could Emacs be rewritten in Python?

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Mon Apr 7 13:56:09 EDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-04-07 at 08:53, Patrick K. O'Brien wrote:
> > Managing so many methods from diverse sources might be difficult.  I
> > want generic methods, I keep thinking of places where they'd be mighty
> > useful... like Mixins but better.
>
> This I don't understand.  Could you elaborate?

All sorts of extensions will provide new commands that work on the
current buffer (or rather, work on a buffer, usually the current one).
Adding methods via the mixin approach (actually assigning methods to the
class after the class's creation) will work, but in my experience it can
quickly become ugly... it's unclear where a method comes from, and
everything becomes way too dynamic.

Maybe generic methods aren't the best idea, so I mostly retract them,
though I think they are still interesting.  Events are a better
alternative to mixins, and more appropriate here.

The criticism that it's too hard to have a buffer argument to every
command is certainly false, though.

  Ian