Python and Schools

Lee Harr missive at frontiernet.net
Fri Apr 11 09:55:41 EDT 2003

In article <3e96b088_2 at 127.0.0.1>, Jason Smith wrote:

> I mean, if we're all studying sorting, and I turn in
>
>   a = [ 'this', 'is', 'a', 'list' ]
>   a.sort()
>
> well then clearly I just got an F.  But it's not Python's fault.

Why? This looks good to me.

Well... ok. I see your point. But if you are studying sorting algorithms,
a.sort() should definitely be on the list :o)  And then I think almost
any student will see the advantage of a.sort() over a page of intricate code.

What I mean is that students should first learn how to use the tools before
they are required to know how to make them.

I think going the other way around just encourages the poor practice of
everyone creating their own incompatible and (very often) buggy private
libraries.