vim configuration help

Randall Smith randall at tnr.cc
Tue Apr 15 02:58:55 EDT 2003

I'm learning Python and I've been looking for a good IDE to use with it.
    I haven't found an IDE that has text editing capabilities close to
Vim/Emacs.

Much of my previous programming is with Emacs/PHP and I love the
auto-indenting, tab-indenting, well thought-out key strokes, and the
ability to ssh into a server and run Emacs.

I'd like to try out Vim while writing Python code (I'm using Webware).
Right now, the default settings using color coding, have an 8 space tab
and no autoindenting.  I would like to have a tab space of 2 or 4 spaces
and have auto-indenting.

I have no idea how to configure Vim.  I'm a total newbie.  Can someone
please help me get started.  I'm looking to configure Vim for Python.
Autoindenting and 4 space tabs are high priority now.

Thanks,

Randall