QuickTax uses Python 2.1

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Sat Apr 19 20:20:06 EDT 2003

I was frustrated for a while by an obscure problem when I tried
running my copy of QuickTax.  It was working a couple of weeks
ago, but today it popped up a dialog indicating a problem with a
resource "c:\a\quicktax2002\QT2002\UserDict.pyc".

Huh?  What's it doing with a .pyc file?  I look in the install
directory and see a handful of files that look suspicious
including _sre.pyd, python21.dll, and some others.  But no
UserDict.pyc.  Well, why should there be?  I didn't mean to
install Python 2.1 there.  Grumble grumble Windows grumble.

Okay... re-install QuickTax.  Check directory.  UserDict.pyc!
Ah... the light dawns (finally).  Along with interesting files
like gherkin.pyc (obviously a pickle variant :-), qtcalcengine.pyc,
tebase.pyc, tedata.pyc, tecmd.pyc....  and text inside the
executable like "Error creating Python TaxCalcEngine".

(The missing UserDict.pyc was caused by a UserError several
days ago, when I unthinkingly blew away all .pyc files on
my hard drive in an attempt to free up some space.  I never
though any software except mine would be using them.)

Judging by the content of the .pyc files, the bulk of the
core of the software is at least scripted with Python, if
not written in Python.  There is also a hint that there's a
PDF generator there, or at the very least a call to a PDF
generator.  _socket.pyd is present as well.  My guess is that
the final tax file generation and e-filing code is done in
Python.

Just thought I'd mention another appearance of Python in a
commercial product.  Suddenly I feel somewhat more comfortable
with the calculations.  Now how come I don't get a refund?!
(I'll submit a patch to CVS as soon as I find the bug. :-)

-Peter

P.S.: Judging by the whining at
http://www.lehopictures.com/the_joint/archives/cat_digital_world_software.php
they are using Python for its portability.  I can't speak
personally for their tech support, but I've been _more than
happy_ with the product itself for the last three years.
Unfortunately, it doesn't help anyone but a Canadian...