PYTHON EDITOR!!

Anand B Pillai abpillai at lycos.com
Mon Apr 7 06:49:04 EDT 2003

If you are on Linux, you have some of the best choices
for python-editing by default. Emacs & vim have python-mode
plugins written by programmers.

For python-mode in emacs go here ->
http://www.python.org/emacs/python-mode/

I am not a vim user so you can post to comp.editors.vi for
help on python-mode on vim. I am sure there is one :-)

 If you havent used emacs/vim, then this is also probably
a good way to get started. For emacs try http://gnu.org/software/emacs
and vim of course is in http://vim.org.

 Python comes with its own editor on installation, 'IDLE'.
It is some nice useful features like code completion, syntax
highlighting, class browsing. But I find that it is somewhat
unstable on Windoze 98.

  I dont have very high opinion on the commercially / shareware
editors available out there. They come with obscure syntax files
which none can edit for customization. I dont know anything about
cool-edit. Perhaps you can try out Ultraedit or Editplus. Google
them to find out the links.

For a complete online collection, point & click ->
http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/moinmoin/PythonEditors

Enjoy pythoning!

Anand Pillai

Visit Python Chamber - http://members.fortunecity.com/anandpillai