distributed computing implementations

Martin v. Löwis martin at v.loewis.de
Thu Apr 3 17:57:25 EST 2003

escalation746 at yahoo.com (robin) writes:

> martin at v.loewis.de (Martin v. Löwis) wrote:
> > I can't agree with that analysis: CORBA has, of all your alternatives,
> > the least network bandwidth requirements.
>
> I was referring to overhead like:
> a) writing the interface definition and dealing with ID strings

It is true that you have to write interface definitions. However,
considering that you are doing distributed computing, I can't really
see this as "overhead". Overhead compared to what?

What are ID strings, and why do you need them in CORBA?

> b) more code

Code written by yourself? Compared to what? A CORBA client in Python
is really short. A CORBA server is larger, but then, the servers
for other distributed computing infrastructures are also larger.

> c) size of the "library"

That depends on the implementation you use. For a client, it is
certainly true that XML-RPC libraries are significantly (factor 10)
smaller than the Fnorb libraries.

Regards,
Martin