else: w/o except: - why not?

Cameron Laird claird at lairds.com
Tue Apr 1 09:50:19 EST 2003

In article <mailman.1049156943.12744.python-list at python.org>,
Tim Peters  <tim.one at comcast.net> wrote:
			.
>> try:
>>     # some code that may except
>> except:
>>     # and if it does, then, okay, just ignore it
>>     pass
>> else:
>>     # but if it didn't except, I want to do this
>
>Now I know what you intended, assuming you wrote what you meant.  Reason
>enough for me.  If you want the absence of an except clause to imply the
>presence of a catch-everything except clause, there's really no chance:  a
>bare except is bad practice.  For example, it catches SystemExit and
>KeyboardInterrupt too, and bare excepts rarely *intend* to catch those.
>Guido isn't going to make it easier to write poor code.

I'm leaving aside Mr. Hand's goals; I'm still unsure about them.

I want to be clear about the judgment that "a bare except is bad
practice".  Are you talking about any unqualified except?  Is
  try:
      f1()
  except ZeroDivisionError:
      f2()
  except:
      f3()
an instance of "a bare except" in the sense that you intend here?
And, for you, does
  try:
      f1()
  except: