POP3 and selective download/deletion

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Sat Apr 5 15:49:31 EST 2003

"David Mertz" <mertz at gnosis.cx> wrote in message
> "Steve Holden" <sholden at holdenweb.com> wrote previously:
> |Unfortunately the POP3 protocol doesn't allow you download the headers of
> |message without downloading the whole thing.
>
> Nonsense.  This is part of the script I use to filter SPAM based only
> on headers (so I don't download the large virus/spam message bodies).
There is
> a bit of cruft in that I display some progress information and log some
> actions, but it shows a realistic program.

[...]

Indeed. Unfortunately TOP isn't something you can rely on being available on
all servers, and its implementations are inconsistent. The 2.2 docs for
poplib objects say:

"""The POP3 TOP command this method uses, unlike the RETR command, doesn't
set the message's seen flag; unfortunately, TOP is poorly specified in the
RFCs and is frequently broken in off-brand servers. Test this method by hand
against the POP3 servers you will use before trusting it."""

regards
Did you miss PyCon DC 2003?            Would you come to PyCOn DC 2004?