nntplib, huge xover object

carroll at tjc.com carroll at tjc.com
Sat Apr 5 14:04:39 EST 2003

On Sat, 05 Apr 2003 17:55:25 GMT, Andrew Markebo
<andrew.markebo at telia.com> wrote:

>/ carroll at tjc.com wrote:
>|
>| Looking at nntplib.py, most of the logic to do this is already there:
>| xover calls longcmd to actually issue the command, and longcmd can
>| take an optional File parameter to which getlongresp (which actually
>| retrieves the response) will write its output, if present.
>
>Which format should the xover output be in the file?

The file contains a series of lines, corresponding to the lines
returned by the NNTP server in response to the XOVER command, as
documented in RFC 2980.  This is the same data that (in the present
implementation) is stored in the "list" tuple, separated by tabs:
"subject, author, date, message-id, references, byte count, and line
count.  Other optional fields may follow line count." (from the RFC).

>Or have I missed something? You seem to have gotten it working?

Yes, it turned out to be a very easy change, primarily due to the
flexible way it was implemented already for body().